Main Difference Between remove del and pop in Python List
It does not matter how many lines of code you write every day. When you want to remove or delete any elements from the Python list, you do think- What is the difference between remove, del and pop in Python List and which one to use?
How to delete or remove the element from the list?
There are 3 different ways of removing or deleting elements from the list.
Let us check one by one.
remove() removes the first matching value/object. It does not do anything with the indexing.
myList = [1, 2, 3, 2] myList.remove(2) myList #[1, 3, 2]
If you want to remove all the occurrences of an element in the list, you need to loop over all elements. Check the element and remove if it is present.
del removes the item at a specific index.
myList = [3, 2, 2, 1] del myList myList #[3, 2, 1]
And pop removes the item at a specific index and returns it.
myList = [4, 3, 5] myList.pop(1) #3 myList #[4, 5]
Difference Between remove, del and pop in Python list:
remove()delete the matching element/object whereas
popremoves the element at a specific index.
popdeals with the index. The only difference between two is that-
popreturn deleted the value from the list and
deldoes not return anything.
Popis only way that returns the object.
Removeis the only one that searches object (not index).
Which is the best way to delete the element in List?
- If you want to delete a specific object in the list, use
- If you want to delete the object at a specific location (index) in the list, you can either use
- Use the
pop, if you want to delete and get the object at the specific location.
- You don’t need to import any extra module to use these methods to remove an element from the list.
- You can not use these methods with a tuple as Python tuple is different from the list.
Program for Practice:
- Write a Python program to find all the unique objects in the list and delete all the duplicate objects.
- Write a Python program to take the user input value and delete it from the list.
Hope this clears your doubt. Onwards, I am sure you will use the appropriate method to remove or delete the object from the Python list.
Write a comment if you have any point to discuss.