10 Important Aptitude Topics and Tricks for Technical Interview
In this article, I will discuss the Logical Reasoning part. In the placement season, aptitude becomes the most important part. Almost every company asking aptitude-based questions in their first-round interview.
In this article, I will discuss all logical reasoning topics and how to approach their problem effectively. (Shortcuts also if any).
Let’s start discussing aptitude topics for technical interview with some easy tricks to solve the problems.
1. Seating Arrangement Problem
Here, you need to read the question properly first. And check if there is any condition like- Person A is sitting 5th from left, or at the extreme right or left position. You have to start from there.
After starting you can proceed with other member arrangements, and cross-check them once again after completion.
Few things to keep in mind while solving the problem:
- Check the persons are facing South or north. If North then their left and right will be your left and right. And if south then it will reverse.
- Always read ques carefully, weather its circular arrangement or line arrangement- They are facing inward or outward. Generally, mistake occurs their.
- They might ask in question like- 4 person sitting at corner of square and 2 of them facing inward and 2 outward . Draw carefully in that.
2. Clock Types Problem
Here few facts you need to remember, you can solve every problem with that.
- Minute hand covers 6 degree per minute and hour hand covers ½ degree per minute.
- The relative speed of the minute hand is 6 – ½ = 5 ½ degrees.
- In every 12 hour the 2 hand will coincide 11 times, and in 24 hour it will be 22 times.
- In 12 hour they will form right angle 22 times, and in 24 hour it will be 44 times.
- When hands are in opposite direction, they are in 30 min apart.
- Formula to count angle between minute and hour hand
Where ‘M’ refers to the minute and ‘H’ refers to an hour.
- Formula to count exact time when angle will be given-
It will be minus if the lower part of the clock will be given.
- If mirror image of time will be asked then- just substract the time from 11:60.
- If a clock losses or gains 12 hour it will show the correct time (This is quite important).
3. Calendar Type Problem
Nowadays most of the questions are asked from these. There is no specific trick here. But, few things you have to remember for solving problems.
- Suppose, in a normal year you start 1st January of the year on Monday, then 30th December of that year would be a Sunday and 31st December being a Monday and hence, the 1st January of the next year will skip the calendar forward by 1 day.
- A leap year has 366 days. If 1st January starts with Monday of leap year then 29th December would be the last Sunday of that year. 30th December will again Monday and 31th December will be Tuesday. Hence, 1st January of the next year will skip by 2 days .
You must be well versed in calculating odd days. That is important. those number of available days from which we can’t complete a week are called ‘Odd days’.
The trick to counting specific dates falls on which day:
Here, you need to remember the code of month- 0 3 3 6 1 4 6 2 5 0 3 5 (starting from January till December ). And code for the day, like 0- Sunday, 1- Monday, like that till 6- Saturday. And year code- 1600-1699=6, 1700-1799=4, 1800-1899=2, 1900-1999=0, 2000-2099=6.
Now take an example to understand it better- Let’s take 26 January 1947. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- Write last 2 digit of year- 47
- Divide it by 4 and write the quotient- here its 11,
- Write date- 26
- Write month code- 0
- Write year code- 0
Now, add all the numbers- 47+11+26+0+0=84.
- Step 6- Now divide it by 7, and note down remainder, here its 0, now match it with day code, 0 means Sunday, that’s the answer.
This will take hardly 10-15 seconds to count. Practice more.
4. Blood Relation Problem
Here, you need to count by making a family tree. Suppose, in some cases, the question will ask like pointing to a photograph person A says, in that case, you have to assume yourself there and solve the problem. Few things to remember:
- Father’s father- Grandfather
- Children of aunt- Cousin
- Father’s brother- Uncle
- Father’s sister- Aunt
- Father’s mother- Grandmother
- Husband of aunt- Uncle
- Children of uncle- Cousin
- Wife of uncle- Aunt
The same goes for the maternal side as well.
You have to be familiar with the terms like the mother in law, sister in law, nephew, niece, father in law, son in law, daughter in law, etc.
As much as you practice, here you will solve in less time. You have to follow the standard practice to solve these kinds of aptitude problems.
5. Mirror And Water Image
Here, a basic trick you have to follow.
- In mirror image- left-right-changes, and top-bottom remains same.
- In water image- left-right-same, top-bottom changes.
Just invert the figure account to it, and you will get the correct answer.
6. Syllogism Type Problem
Now, it’s the most important part. From here they ask frequency questions and students try to solve them using vain diagrams. But, it must be solved using the income-expense method.
In case, you encountered words like “Can Be”, “Possibility”, then only solve it using a vain diagram. Rest 90 percent of the problem can be solved using the IE method. Let’s look at the below table. You only have to remember the table.
|No or None||100||100|
Let’s take an example to understand it better.
Statement- All cats are animals.
Conclusion 1: Some animals are cats.
Conclusion 2: Some animals are cats.
Just substitute the value according to the table.
Statement- There are 100 cats and 50 animals.
Conclusion 1- animal-50, cat-50.
Conclusion 2- animal-50, cat-50.
Now, assume the statement is your income and conclusions are the expenditure, so, to satisfy the condition, expenditure must be less than or equal to income.
Analyze conclusion 1. Animal and cat, in statement animal and cat are in one sentence. So, Cat- 100 (income), 50 (expense), condition satisfied. Now, animal- 50 income and 50 expense, So, a condition satisfied. So, conclusion 1 follows.
In conclusion 2 also, we have the same condition satisfied for both animal and cat. So, here answer will be both conclusions follows.
Remember Venn diagrams are confusing, so do not follow that approach it’s not necessary. This is one of the very useful aptitude topics for technical interview.
7. Cause and Effect Problem
Here in this type of question, reading of question is important. First, read statement 1 then add so or therefore and then statement 2, if it does not match or sounds well, try reverse means Statement 2 then add so or therefore statement 2.
Whatever comes before so or therefore that is the cause and after it will be an effect. Practice different types of questions to get clarity on this.
Practicing more aptitude can open doors for your dream job.
8. Direction Sense Test
Here, few things you have to remember: Shadow problems are common. So, at sunrise or sunset, you have to analyze the position on the right side. At noon, there is no shadow.
If sunrise in east shadow will be on west and reverse in case of sunset.
Be careful with the movement of a person in left or right, check he or she is facing north or south. A good understanding of angle is important here.
Rest they may ask you to calculate distance, In that case, try to break down the path into familiar geometrical figures like rectangles, right-angle triangles and then apply the theorem to that.
9. Alphanumeric Series and Coding or Decoding Problem
Here, you need to remember the alphabet position from ‘A’ to ‘Z’ starting from 1 to 26, and to count reverse of it. Just, subtract the original position from 27.
For figure-related problems, you have to check the figure is turning either 90 degrees or 180 degrees, or it may be a mirror or water image, or there may be some color and pattern in that. Observation is important here.
Always try to find out the pattern here, and that works for all these problems in the answer figure.
10. Statement and Conclusion Problem
In this type of question do not use any kind of common sense. Just stick to the statement only. Do not make any assumptions here. Or do not find out any logic behind the statement.
Just read the statement once and then if the conclusion is the direct effect of it them mark the answer. That’s it. The logical reasoning part ends here.
This is all about aptitude topics for technical interview. If you have any questions, you can ask me in the comment section below.
All the best!
Leave a Reply