Patient Billing Software System [IBM-TGMC Java Project]
Development of practical Patient Billing Software project (PBS) which has all the features so that it can be used by any hospital.
PBS is the team project and appreciated for completion of the project from IBM’s The Great Mind Challenge 2010 (TMGT-2010) contest.
All the project requirements are given by the TMGT contest and we abide by all the technologies they have suggested and provided to us as a part of TMGT contest.
The Team behind Development of “Patient Billing Software” Project:
Patient Billing Software is a team project developed by team JDev.
- Sudhir Samrith
- Aniruddha Chaudhari
- Viswajit Akode
Mentored by Rajesh Mawale Sir (GCOEA, Amravati, India)
Systeme Management related functionality:
- The first page of the application is to allow the user to log in the system
- Allow the user to change the password on the system
- Enter/edit the organization and hospital detail like name, contact, code, and address of the hospital.
- Set the number of wards and beds available for both general and ICU wards.
System Management by Hospital Receptionist:
- When a patient enrolls gets into the hospital, fill his/her detail in a Patient Billing Software system. Allot ward and bed to him/her.
- Keep the record of all the ward number for the patient either in the general ward or the ICU.
- While discharging the patient from the hospital, calculate the pending patient bills. Complete the transaction and make the entry in the PBS system as patient discharged.
- Keep a track of all beds in the Hospital. What are the occupied / free beds in both the ward and the ICU?
- Provision to transfer patients from the general ward to the ICU and vice versa if need.
Auditing Patient History:
- Get the complete detail information of all patients filled in PBS system such as patients admit time, billing amount paid and to be paid based on the treatment given and the hospitalized ward number.
Entity Relationship Diagram for Patient Billing Software:
ER diagram depicts the relation between database tables. The relationship between any two tables in the database is maintained by a common attribute entity (primary and foreign key mechanism).
The ER diagram is very useful to design a strong database schema.
User case diagram for Patient Billing Software Project:
There are two types of user. Based on the users, functionalities of the patient billing software are distinguished.
- An employee of the Hospital
Hospital employees include receptionists, doctors, and nurses… They are responsible for using the Patient Billing Software.
The administrator is responsible for configuring the software based on hospital needs. For example, Administrator will configure PBS software by providing hospital detail like the name of the hospital, charges for various treatment, the total number of wards, etc…
The administrator is responsible for the one-time setup of Patient Billing Software for the hospital at the time of installation.
Project Development Resources/Technologies
Programming Languages Used for Project Coding:
Patient Billing Software code is written in the following computer languages…
- Java programming, JSP, Servlets, Ajax for server-side management
Software Tools Used for Development:
Below are the major tools we used for development.
- IBM DB2 database to store the data
- Eclipse as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
Challenges Tackled and Project Learning:
- Learning New Technology:
As per the TMGT, we are only allowed to use IBM DB2 and it was new for us. But, we didn’t allow it to hold us back. After watching online videos and doing cumbersome Google search various, things were started rolling and getting the shape.
TMGT also provided us great support by providing IBM DB2 toolkit (CD version) and requirement guideline. documents.
- Team Work:
Apart from college schedule and commitment, we, the team have to spend extra hours, grouping up together at one place and working late night. Coordination and mutual understanding is very important perspective, we learned.
- Email Etiquette:
Many times we contacted the TMGT mentor via email. Being in college this was the great thing happen to us. And it is so much important to have great communication throughout the project until the accomplishment.
- Documentation is Important as much as Lines of Source Code:
At the various phase of the Patient Billing Software project, we communicated with the TMGT mentors. With them, we used to share project and progress detail, challenges we are facing, project SRC, flowchart, user case diagram…
And in the end…
- Hard Work Pays Off:
We got certificate and appreciation from TMGT for project completion as the project stands out as per their requirement and guidelines.
IBM TGMC 2010 Certificates:
Rajesh Mawale (Project Mentor)
This is all about a patient billing software project. If you have any query to ask related to this project, you can comment below.