12 Advantages and Disadvantages of OSI model Layered Architecture
OSI is a reference model for network communication across all types of computer systems. It follows seven layered architecture that defines different functionalities at each layer. You can read 7 Layers of OSI Model in Networking Explained with Layered Architecture.
In this post, I will describe you advantages and disadvantages of OSI model Layered Architecture.
Every model has its pro and cons. Same way, OSI model also has some advantages and disadvantages.
Let’s begin with…
Advantages of OSI model Layered Architecture:
OSI model has various advantages:
- It is a truly generic model. And it is considered as a standard model in computer networking.
- Layers in OSI model architectures are distinguished according to the services, interfaces, and protocols.
- Since the protocols are hidden, any protocols can be implemented in this model. So I call it as a generic model. It has all flexibility to adapt to many protocols.
- It supports connection-oriented as well as connectionless services. So we can use the connection-oriented model when we need reliability and connection-less services when we need a faster data transmission over the internet.
Read difference between Connection-Oriented and Connectionless Services Protocol for more detail.
- It follows the divide and conquers technique. All the services are distinguished in various layers. So administration and maintenance for these OSI model architecture are straightforward and easy.
- This layered architecture follows abstraction principle. Change in one layer does not impact much on other layers.
- It is more secure and adaptable than having all services bundled in a single layer.
These are all advantages of OSI model layered architecture. However, there are some disadvantages of this Layered Architecture as well.
Disadvantages of OSI Model Layered Architecture:
- It doesn’t define any particular protocol.
- It may find sometimes difficult to fit a new protocol in this model. This is because this model was created before the invention of any of these protocols.
- The session layer is used for session management. Presentation layer deals with user interaction. Though they are useful, not as much as other layers in the OSI model.
- There is some duplication of services at various layers. Such as, both transport and data link layer have error control mechanisms.
- There is also interdependence among the layers. These layers cannot work in parallel. They have to be in wait to receive data from its predecessor.
I have explained every point in an elegant way. Then again, computer networking is an endless topic. There are still some points we can discuss in detail. So feel to write in the comment section below. I will reply right away to clarify your doubts.
It was the best overview of advantages and disadvantages.. when my exam will start so-on that time I write this points.. thanks
I am happy as you find it useful for your examination.
All the Best!
Can you speak on Gujarati?
I don’t know Gujarati.
Amazing! you truly helped me
Wow, your OSI advantages and disadvantages really help me a lot on my assignment I just want to say thanks, and I was wondering if it can be possible to get a good connection or communication with you so that I can send or ask some difficult questions regarding networks and programming.I’ll really appreciate your help.
Thanks Jonas for your kind word. I am glad as you find this article helpful to complete your assignment.
To connect with me, you can subscribe to my newsletter for FREE – https://www.csestack.org/subscribe/
Also join our programming community.- https://www.facebook.com/groups/csestack/
See you there…
Can anyone please write me advantages and disadvantages of session, presentation and application layer?
Abhinav you can refer 7 Layers of OSI Model in Networking.
How can I become software and hardware engineer? I mean which course units and level of education?
There are many engineering courses for Software and Hardware engineering profile.
And it depends on the country from where you want to pursue. In India, we have Computer Science and IT engineering field for graduation to get into the software field. Apart from graduation, there are also many certification programs in software and hardware field.
It’s really working. Well done and keep it up.
PLEASE CAN U HELP ME THE WITH IN WAYS IN WHICH DATA LINK LAYERS HAS SOLVED 1-NATIONAL PROBLEMS, 2- COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS.
PLEASE AM REALLY STRESSED OVER THIS.
I didn’t get you. What are you really trying to solve? And how can I help you? Please elaborate.
In disadvantage no. 11 you’ve written that there is duplication of services in the data and transport layer but what negative impact does duplication have to the OSI model?
Having duplicate functions at different levels is an overhead. It costs in terms of processing and time.
Thank you, This helped with my assignment.
You’re welcome, Robert!
Thanks for the article, really helpful! But I want to know if these cons will lead to create a new kind of model in the future… Or will it remain the same for a while?
This is architecture and used as a reference model for protocols. Not every protocol follows this model completely. Based on the need, they are followed. As compared to other architecture, it has superior advantages so this is followed as standard. Some protocols follow a hybrid model, to mitigate the cons.
Thanks very much.
I’m happy to have you sir.
You’re welcome, Warren. Feel free to reach out to me if there is anything I can help you with.
Meanwhile can you please share your feedback https://www.csestack.org/feedback/
We would like to feature it on our portal. Thanks!