16 Advantages and Disadvantages of Ethernet | With Its Characteristics
What to know more detail about ethernet?
Here is everything you will learn about ethernet in this article.
Table of Contents
What is Ethernet?
Ethernet is Local Area Network (LAN) technology. It is a system with protocol to connect multiple systems on the LAN network connection. Apart from LAN, it is also used in Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) network.
Robert Metcalfe invented Ethernet technology. It is standardized as IEEE 802.3.
Characteristics of Ethernet
- Ethernet operates at the link layer in TCP/IP model architecture.
- Ethernet offers connectionless communication.
- Before transferring any data over the network, system checks if the access medium is free to transfer data. It determines free medium using Carrier Sense Multiple Access/Collision Detection (CSMA/CD).
- It is built on a star topology.
- 3 Major Importance of Network Topology in Network Evolution.
- Difference Between Physical and Logical Topology
Types of Ethernet:
Ethernet is of two types as per the cable used to connect systems over the network
- Twisted Pair Ethernet connection
- Fiber Optic Ethernet connection
There are three types of Ethernet- Basic, Fast and Gigabit.
These categories are based on the data transfer speed.
- Basic ethernet is slowest among all, which provide the s speed of 10Mbps.
- Fast Ethernet provides the speed of 100Mbps, which is intermediate between basic and Gigabit network
- Gigabit Ethernet has the highest data transfer speed of 1Gbps. This speed is 1o times more than Fast Ethernet.
Today, the speed of the Gigabit Ethernet has increased to 100 Gbps. It is a massive speed.
Gigabit Ethernet operates with the Twisted pair cable as well as Fiber Optic Cable, smoothly.
These Frame sizes and bandwidths are calculated so that the frame should not collide and should provide higher performance.
Fiber optic gives a higher performance as it has good electrical isolation. It can cover the distance up to 10 kilometers with the latest fiber optic mechanism.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Ethernet:
As it is being LAN technology, speed, durability, maintenance cost, and data transfer quality are the major parameters to make the decision.
Advantages of Ethernet:
- To form an Ethernet, we do not need much cost. It is relatively inexpensive. It is costless as compare to other systems of connecting computers.
- In Ethernet, all the node have the same privileges. It does not follow client-server architecture.
- It does not require any switches or hubs
- Maintenance and administration are simple.
- The cable used to connect systems in ethernet is robust to noise.
- As it is robust to the noise, the quality of the data transfer does not degrade. The data transfer quality is good.
- With a Gigabit network, users can transfer data with the speed of 1-100Gbps.
Disadvantages of Ethernet:
- It offers a nondeterministic service.
- It does not hold good for real-time applications as it requires deterministic service.
- As the network cannot set priority for the packets, it is not suitable for a client-server architecture.
- In an interactive application, data is very small and need quick data transfer. In ethernet, there is a limit of the minimum size of the frame to 46B. The result of that, it is not a good choice for interactive applications.
- If you are using it for interactive applications, you have to feed dummy data to make the frame size 46B which is mandatory.
- Not suitable for traffic-intensive applications. If the traffic on the Ethernet increases, the efficiency of the Ethernet goes down.
- It provides connectionless communication over the network.
- After receiving a packet, the receiver doesn’t send any acknowledge.
- If there is any problem in ethernet, it is difficult to troubleshoot what cable or node in the network causing an actual problem.
You May Like to Read:
- 14 Difference Between TCP and UDP Protocol
- 12 Advantages and Disadvantages of OSI model Layered Architecture
This is all about the advantages and disadvantages of Ethernet. If you are planning to set the Ethernet LAN connection, you can ponder on these points. For any doubt, please write in a comment.
am doing my first degree of IT and I have a great passion to be a programmer
That’s great. You are on good track for choosing your passion as your career.
You can join our programming community – https://www.facebook.com/groups/csestack/ for more programming updates.
You explained every point in a very simple manner. Thanks, Sir!
You’re welcome, Manu Pal! Glad you find it simple to understand.
This article describes Ethernet very well. If I have a device that connects to a data port and receives data via Ethernet as a client, is the data port a part of the physical layer?
Thanks, Kimberley! In OSI model layer architecture, the physical layer is the extreme layer and all the communication happens through it. This layer is responsible for the physical connection. Everything related to the hardware connection falls in the Physical layer. You can read more here 7 OSI Model Layers Explained.
I was preparing for my assignment and found these points to mention there.
Thanks a lot.
That’s Great. I hope you just don’t copy but learn. 😀
Can someone hack an android device with ethernet?
Not so straight forward… It depends on many other factors.
Hi, Thank you for this article. I honestly understand these parts, but I needed a guide on how to set up my assignment. I’m taking a Python course and I wasn’t ready LOL I’m going to be reading a lot of your material thank you!!!
Check my Python tutorial
This might help you for your assignment.