JMeter Testing | How to Automate Testcases?
Software testing is one of the important tasks of the software development life cycle (SDLC). Read more detail about software testing– fundamentals, basic types.
And functional testing is one of the important types of testing processes.
The main motive of functional testing services is to test the application for its functionality.
Automated functional testing processes are very helpful and in trend these days.
There are so many different tools for automation functional testing, which help to conduct the test processes.
Today, we will discuss the JMeter automation testing.
Functional Testing using JMeter
JMeter is one of the open source tools for load functional and performance testing. It helps you to test your app application through functional testing on the backend of the application.
JMeter is capable of testing various parts of the application like user registration, API testing, verify that information is successfully going to the database, etc.
The test engineer doesn’t need to open a browser on or put the data fields manually to use the JMeter with various API calls.
JMeter is the very intelligent testing tool it automatically recognizes what get or post commands of the application to request an HTTP.
It is also capable of accessing JSON files to check the data and its comparative functionality.
JMeter is capable to run application of every platform and to test Java application. It has a special tool known as the Junit.
What is Junit?
Junit is also a native part of JMeter and helps the test engineers to test Java applications for functional testing strategies.
User Experience using JMeter
This is the major feature of JMeter automation functional testing tool. It verifies that the backend functionality and the user experience for the web application for another software application are positive or not.
JMeter uses real-time user activities on the application along with the combination of various tools like saucelab and perfecto mobile.
It is also helpful to tell the test engineer that the application is user-friendly or not. Is the front end and backend of the application are connecting or not.
JMeter can also be used for mobile app testing. With the collaboration of perfecto mobile JMeter, the test engineer is capable of knowing how the app will work in different mobile devices.
Features of JMeter Testing Tool
The following are the various features of JMeter.
- It is freely available for the users because it is an open source software.
- It is a graphical user interface (GUI) application which is very simple to use.
- JMeter is capable of performing the testing processes with various services like HTTP, https, soap database via JDBC, JMS, pop3, LDAP, etc.
- It is one of the platform independent tools this means the tool is capable of running on any kind of operating systems like Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Unix, etc.
- It has very light rate modules to test an application.
- JMeter testing tool is used to perform automated functional testing, automated load testing, and automated performance testing.
- Test cases should be in XML format for this tool because the tool used only XML editors to generate the test plan and test reports.
Steps to use JMeter
JMeter is used as a Java framework. And the test engineers must install JDK in their machines to use JMeter.
To make this possible, they first need to install Java in their systems, and after that, they need to install the Java software development kit.
1. Set Java environment
To set the Java home environment, you have to put the Java_home variable in the beta directory of the JAVA application. The command to do so may vary in different versions of Java.
2. Download JMeter
You can download the basic and elitist version of JMeter from the official website of JMeter.
3. Run the tool
After downloading the tool, you need to go to the bin directory of the JMeter. And by clicking on that change, meta UI interface will appear in front of you.
JMeter Automation Testing using Testcases
Do you want to know how to automate the testcases using JMeter? It’s not so difficult.
In order to write a testing plan in this, you have to follow the following steps.
1. Start the tool window
Go to the bin directory of the JMeter then a window will appear in front of you, which is the graphical user interface of the tool.
Here you will be able to see two different nodes one is test plan node, and another is a workbench node.
2. Add and remove the attributes
You can add and remove various attributes of the test plan easily. To do so you need to the right click on the test plan note and choose which attributes you want to add and which you want to delete.
3. Load and save the attributes
Follow the following steps to save the various attributes of the test plan.
- Right click on the selected attributes and first select on the load element option which will appear in the menu.
- When the attribute loaded successfully then select many options, this will help you to save the element.
- To save the element, you need to select a drive for someplace in the hard disk where you want to save the element or attribute.
- The tool automatically merges all the attributes of the test plan and save them at the preferred location provided by the user.
4. Configure the test element
All elements of the test plan can be configured by using various controls present in the JMeter testing tool. You can find it on the right-hand side of the window.
5. Save the test plan
If you feel like you are done with the test plan, you can see it with the help of saving the test plan option.
Again you need to select a drive, or please check hard disk where you want to save the test plan.
Related Read: Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
JMeter is one of the amazing tools. It can help a test engineer to test the Java applications at their best. No doubt it is capable of testing load and performance testing of the application as well.
The only drawback of the tool is that it is capable of conducting functional testing only for the backend processes. The tool has to integrate with other tools to conduct the front end testing processes.
If you are looking for a job for a testing profile, check out interview questions asked in various companies.
This is all about JMeter automation testing. Any question? Please write in the comment section.
Editor’s Note: This article is written and shared by Stella Murugesan.