Difference Between SOAP and REST Web Services
Use of the REST APIs is growing enormously and many big firms are moving with REST APIs. As recently Facebook has moved to RESTFul APIs and deprecated many of its old APIs.
Since then, this is one of the biggest misconception buzzing in everyone’s mind. Many think SOAP is the alternative to the RESTFul APIs.
REST is the emerging technology. We have shared detail about REST in a previous post. You can read REST API in detail. It will clear, why is everyone today talking about.
If we compare two topics, finding the differences between them makes the things easier to understand.
So here is the Difference Between SOAP and REST APIs:
First of all, we can not compare two. As SOAP is protocol and REST is the architectural style.
By keeping things little apart, if you ask to do the comparison. So here you go…
How REST is Different from SOAP web services?
- As we know SOAP and REST both follows client-server architecture. What differs between them is that their mechanism of coupling between server and client.
- SOAP web services are tightly coupled with the client. If any of the web services or any client makes any changes, web service can not work properly. So SOAP web services and client have to keep updated changes with each other.
- REST API services and clients are loosely coupled. Any changes can be handled gracefully with minimal changes. These is one of the advantages of REST over SOAP protocol.
- REST client side is more like the browser. In the browser, we use URL to access web pages whereas REST uses URI to access resources.
In a case of SOAP, you can not access resources using URI.
- For using SOAP web service, a client should be aware of provided SOAP service in detail. In a case of REST, a client can start using it will zero knowledge. They can explore the resources using Hypermedia engine. The client only knows entry point in REST rather than complete knowledge.
- SOAP web services are not stateless as it saves data from the server to client and used it for further communication.
- SOAP is more operation centric whereas REST URI is more about resource-centric.
- REST is lightweight than SOAP. So REST uses lower bandwidth and it is faster than SOAP services.
The only advantage of the SOAP over RESTFul API is that SOAP API provides the mechanism for services. So if you are going to provide services outside, SOAP servers are more beneficial.
In a previous post, I have explained REST architecture in detail. You can go through REST API architecture to give more light on REST APTs.
If you are comparing SOAP and REST APIs, hope this difference between SOAP and REST gets the notion to decide which one is suitable for your development.
RESTFul APIs are new to everyone. So if you have any point to discuss feel free to mention in the comment section below.