9 Prerequisites for Django | How Much Python to Learn Django?
Last night I had a conversation with one of my friend. And as being a developer, I never know how it has turned around Python to learn Django. Conversion goes like this…
“I want to build a website which will demonstrate our AI products.”
By the way, he is running a startup which is based on AI products.
“Not so rosy! I want to build a website and I heard Python is one of the best programming language and in future, it will also coordinate our online AI products.”
Of course, Python is the best and most preferred programming language for Artificial Intelligence, Data Analysis, IoT and what not for…
“So, what do you think of building a website using Python?”
Best choice, I said. There are so many Python frameworks available to develop a website and it also holds good for AI development.
“Are you talking about – Django?” “But… Our web development team is not much familiar with Python echo system. So, what’s your thought?”
And then he keeps ranting questions one after another…
“What Should I Learn before Learning Django?”
As I keep saying, whether if you want to develop data analysis tool, embedded programming for IoT devices or website, Python is easiest programming language to go with… at least easier than other competitor programming languages in its dome.
There are so many external modules and framework available in Python for website development. You can make use of them.
If you are a beginner, you can deep dive into Python bottle framework. It is the lightest web development framework. Just give it a try. It’s fun to see how you can make a website so easily.
If you want to develop the full-fledged project, go with Django. You will find everything that you need to develop a website.
But, developing the website in Django is not cake walk unless you have basic Python knowledge. Yeah, basic knowledge is sufficient.
Here is my two cent, if you want to develop the website in Django or if you want to get your hands dirty with Python web development framework…
How Much Python to Learn Django?
Django is Python framework and it’s obvious you need to get comfortable with some of the Python terminology.
- The basic syntax of the Python (understanding the indentation if you are coming from other programming languages and new into Python).
- Python function. How to pass the argument to the Python function? Setting default value. Getting a list of Python values using *args and **kwargs.
- While developing the website you may require multiple Python modules. It depends on the requirement for your website. So the understanding of importing external modules is required.
- The website is not just as we see in browsers. There are tons of data, images or any kind of data which are used in the background. To accessing those data files, you need to have the understanding of Python Path concepts.
- Get familiar with the Python control structure. It includes both conditional operators and loops. If you are coming from any other programming language and have basic Python syntax knowledge, it is not a big deal.
- No matter what programming language you are learning. The string is one of data structure you should be using in every other line of your project code. Sink yourself and try to check out all the string manipulation operations. It is easy to do that in Python.
- You have chosen Django Python framework for your web development. What makes Python different from all other programming language is its prominent data structures like tuple, list (Difference between Python tuple and list), set and dictionary. Understand the structure of data saved in those type of variables. Check out all the functions associated with those data structure. It is fun as the things will start rolling so easily with those data structure variables.
- As the projects start looming you need to apply object-oriented concepts. In fact, it is better to drive the object-oriented concepts from the beginning of the development itself. It helps you to bind the similar kind of data (class) and access those data with a single variable called object. You can also reuse the lines of codes if the logic is same. And it reduces line of code, as well as, easy to maintain.
You might be thinking, I have listed so many basics prerequisites of Python to Learn Django web framework.
But it is not…
One can learn Python and Django framework in parallel. In fact, most of the concept I have listed above will be cleared as along when you start developing a website using Django.
Moving forward to this,
- Learn REST APIs and JSON.
I have already covered the detailed post about REST APIs, so I will skip it here. JSON is the data structure which makes easy to store and transfer the data between different network entities.
Learning never takes you down. And it is the right time to start working on Python framework. The more Python knowledge you acquire, it will be easy for you to cope up with any Python web development framework including Django and flask.
If you have experience of working on any other programming language like C/C++, Java, PHP, Ruby… it is just a matter of Python syntax. And you will grasp it very easily.
So, what are you waiting for? Pull your socks and start learning to develop something AWESOME!
If you find this post of Python to Learn Django informative, do share with your friends learning Python. If you have any question or query to discuss, head to the comment section.
Meanwhile, I take a break and will see you in the next article.